James wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
James wrote:
I set up SeaMonkey with certificates for each email account. The major
problem is to get the certificates recognized in Thunderbird and vice
versa. I keep getting the broken key symbol. Something similar happens
on the other end.

The certificates are functional between the accounts I manage, but I do
not have any external correspondents with other certificate enabled
email clients to extend my range of testing.

Unless I get a solution soon, I must abandon SeaMonkey. Has anyone
compiled a list of email certificate problems, with or without
solutions?

The same certificates will work just as good SeaMonkey as in Thunderbird.
export your personal certificates (from Versign or thawte) to folder
(directory) on your hard drive. you will have to supply your password
used to create the certificate. and in some cases if you have password
protected Thunderbird you'll have to supply that as well.  When you
import into SM you have to supply those  password(s) again.
Certificate meant for MS products will not work on Mozilla Products.
The certificate have to be customized by the company (Thawte /
Versign) for the email Client and the OS. But any customized for
Mozilla (or Netscape) works on any Mozilla Product.
You misunderstand. The certificates are properly installed and working,
but a recipient that is using Thunderbird can not read encrypted email
sent to him and I can not read encrypted email received from him.
SeaMonkey to SeaMonkey works fine. SeaMonkey to or from Thunderbird does
not work at all.

Oh you and he is supposed to send you public key to each other. The public key that each other receives works with the private keys if they fit you can talk. Go to Versign and look up Private key and Public key also look in SeaMonkey's help.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net/       mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com