On 11/28/2010 12:44 PM PT, Rufus typed:

Phillip Jones wrote:
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
On 11/27/2010 8:52 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
Ant wrote:
I just accidently pressed ctrl-T and got a tab in it. Am I the last
user
to know this? Did SM1 and Mozilla have this too? :(
No SM couldn't thank goodness.

I don't even use tabs in browser for SeaMonkey or in FF. The only thing
its good for is wasting memory as each tabbed item takes up memory.

MUCH Less memory than a new window though, fwiw.

But your only viewing each window one at a time. and it replaces in
memory the previous window's contents. Its like a slide show. you
completely replace the content in one window with the content in another
window. In tabs your saving the content as a separate instance. when you
have more than two tabs in memory that's a big drain on the RAM. Then
the hard drive comes into play and drags everything down waiting for the
swaps. (unless you have one of those solid state devices). Even that
drags the SSD down eventually causing its demise at shorter interval.

The main thing I use tabs for is doing comparisons - particularly when
shopping or quoting/citing something. Very, very handy to be able to
flip back and fourth with a direct click.

I generally don't leave more than one tab open during a session, but I
do use them during just about every session. Mainly with the Browser,
not so much with Mail/News...but that habit may change.

Interesting. I am a tab freak/addict in the web browser. I sometimes have 30 or more of them opened at once. It's useful when web sites are slow to download in the background. I definitely do see lots of memory usages and slow downs. However, I try to exit SM once in a while to keep the memory usages down. I don't know if I will use tab in mail and news. It just feels weird.
--
"... Something wrong with the gun," he said. "But what if there is? They'll get it right again. And even if there's a delay, how can it alter the end? It's just men and ants. There's the ants builds their cities, live their lives, have wars, revolutions, until the men want them out of the way, and then they go out of the way. That's what we are now -- just ants. Only --" "Yes," "We're eatable ants..." --H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds
   /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)