NoOp wrote:
On 04/22/2011 05:16 PM, MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 22/04/2011 17:58, Robert Kaiser told the world:

Interesting, as AFAIK all Core architecture chips support EM64T - could
be that it's only Core2 though and Apple shipped some of the older
"crap" that was called "Core" but wasn't actually a new architecture at
all (and I know for sure that Core2 has EM64T).

That's right. The first generation of Intel Core CPUs was actually based
on an enhanced P6 (Pentium Pro/II/III) architecture codenamed "Yonah",
which was 32-bit only. Some of the early "Pentium Dual-Core" were also
P6-based.

The new "Core" architecture debuted only on the Core 2. AFAIK, it's an
evolution of the Yonah with, among other things, 64-bit extensions
added. So it's still a descendant of the venerable Pentium Pro.

Although Intel had a really, really confusing policy for a while, in
which it was hard to guess if a given CPU was 64-bit capable, had
hardware virtualization and other stuff -- they disabled features from
some chips aiming for market segmentation. So I wouldn't swear that all
Core 2 and later are actually 64-bit capable, because some of them may
have this feature disabled.

I've run across this when attempting to install a 64bit virtual machine
in VMWare. They've a pretty good article on this at:
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003945
Turns out that the 64bit laptop that I bought awhile back for 64bit
testing with a 'Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4300 doesn't support VT (it does
support EM64T). Really pissed me off, so next time I'll check all of the
CPU specs before buying another laptop/desktop.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37253

Yeah...some homework yet to do on this capability. I saw no reason to run my Macbook Pro in 64 bit mode until a few nights ago when this subject came up. And as I noted, even though this machine *is* supported to boot the 64 bit kernel under 10.6.7 that *isn't* its default boot mode. I'm sure the "average user" with an older 64 bit boot capable Mac doesn't even know or care...I knew, but I hesitated until now.

I found a Terminal command line to change my 'Book and now it boots 64 bit by default. It felt snappier at first, but now that it's settling in I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about...or maybe I've just gotten used to it - I'm thinking that all I'm really getting is more efficient use of RAM?. Haven't encountered an installed app that won't run as of yet...which I guess I shouldn't expect to?

--
     - Rufus