MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 23/04/2011 17:49, Rufus told the world:
Ok...to continue the discussion on Macs and 64 bit boot mode, I just
grabbed SM 2.1b3 and did a "Get Info" on it under OS 10.6.7  on my
MacBook Pro booted with the 64 bit kernel and found the "Launch in 32
bit mode" option displayed and unchecked as I expected.

BUT - when I did the same thing on my iMac running 10.6.7 booted with
the 32 bit kernel (which is the only way I can boot this machine) I
still had the "Launch in 32 bit mode" option displayed and unchecked
which I didn't expect - I would have expected it to be checked by
default, or not there at all.  (I had actually expected it to not be
there at all...)

So - my assumption that the OS takes care of this for the app was
obviously wrong.  I don't know how SM tells if the machine is running in
64 or 32 bit kernel, but it must, and the beta doesn't appear to be
handling it appropriately to the machine as far as setting the default
goes...unless it does so only after first launch?

I would guess that in a 32-bit environment, the option is simply
ignored, since there is *no* way to launch a 64-bit application in a
32-bit environment.

Yes - that's why I didn't expect to even see it with a 32 bit boot.

Not being a Mac user, I don't know if this option is a Mozilla/Seamonkey
thing or an OSX thing. Whatever it is, the option  is probably *not*
silently changed because:
(a) it's irrelevant in 32-bit mode anyway; changing it does not add any
benefit.

That's the question I've been asking...and which is why if I am going to see it, I would have expected it to be selected (and grayed out) if it is there, in keeping with all other things Mac.

(b) it would be really annoying if you had to manually change back the
option to 64-bit after booting OSX in 32-bit mode for whatever reason
(debugging a cranky app?)

I wouldn't consider that an annoyance if I were debugging. I would always leave it at the proper default for the machine boot. Assuming my selection would persist. Would be very "un-Mac-like" if it didn't.

--
     - Rufus