David Wilkinson wrote:
Jens Hatlak wrote:
To be exact, it means "Don't check for new messages unless MailNews has
been opened at least once during the current session.". So it doesn't
matter whether you have a MailNews window open at any given time, but
only whether one had been open at any time during your current session.
In other words, MailNews keeps running in the background at all times,
unless it is not started at all. And if the above checkbox is *not*
checked, the check for new messages is *always* started.

Jens:

Thanks. So I think I was right: I should tick this box if I want to
throttle mailnews.

But I did not realize that mailnews kept running in the background after
it was closed. I think I need to redo my test for mailnews being the CPU
hogger.

I must say I hope it is not mailnews that is causing this problem,
because this might cause me to abandon SeaMonkey.

On the brighter side:

(a) Maybe this problem will be gone in SM 2.1. I'm a bit busy to upgrade
right now, but I will soon.

It's not, mailnews is still causing stalls in SeaMonkey. Happens consistently. And, yes, I too will have to give it up if no solution is forthcoming.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/