Bill Davidsen wrote:

Yes. Are you running GNOME or the new Unity (IIRC) window manager on
Ubuntu? I have a vast distrust of all those WM which require accelerated
video cards, since firmware sometimes gets updates in the middle of a
production run and may behave differently.

Same question for MINT, does it by chance use GNOME3?

I have Ubuntu running on a VM, using GNOME, unfortunately MINT and SuSE
are downloaded and in the someday queue, so I can't really test
carefully. I didn't see any issues with SM in Ubuntu under GNOME, so
that's a half of a data point.

Yes, Linux Mint 11 uses Gnome 3.

Before installing SM 2.1, I was running SM 2.0.x on LM 11 without trouble.

I may just reinstall LM and see if I have the same black screen problem "out of the box" - if so, the cause is probably something else entirely.

Thanks, Rob L