Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Bill Spikowski wrote:
>
>>> I often use the full version of Adobe Acrobat 9.4, so the other
>>> day when I noticed that Adobe Reader 7.0 was also installed on
>>> my computer, I uninstalled it.
>>>
>>> Then when I tried to open a PDF file in SM, I got an obscure
>>> error message. So I installed Adobe Reader X, which restored my
>>> ability to view PDFs within Seamonkey.
>>>
>>> My question is how to reliably access to the Reader X toolbar. It
>>> no longer appears by default when I open a PDF file. Sometimes I
>>> can make it appear by clicking an Adobe icon that appears when I
>>> mouse-over a spot in the bottom of the window, but other times
>>> it won't appear at all, leaving me without the ability to save
>>> the PDF file, or to resize it etc.
>>>
>>> I'm running SM 2.3.1 in Windows XP.
>
> Based on this :
>
>> View PDFs in Read mode
>>
>> When you’re reading a document, you can hide all the toolbars and
>> task panes to maximize the viewing area on your screen.
>>
>> The basic reading controls, such as page navigation and zoom,
>> appear in a semi-transparent floating toolbar near the bottom of
>> the window.
>>
>> To open Read mode, choose View > Read Mode, or click the Read Mode
>> button  in the upper-right corner of the toolbar.
>>
>> To restore the work area to its previous view, choose View > Read
>> Mode again. You can also click the close button in the floating
>> toolbar.
>>
>> Note: Read mode is the default viewing mode when you open a PDF in
>> a web browser. Read mode with semi-transparent floating toolbar
>
> from here :
>
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/standard/using/WSe6c6ee3e336ebb13-630c189912be99aedab-7fff.html
>
>  my inclination would be to recommend unchecking the option
>
> Edit / Preferences / Internet / Web Browser Options / Display in Read
> Mode by Default
>
> Philip Taylor

Unchecking that box sounds like it should do the trick, but it doesn't seem to
make a difference for me.

I may try the uninstall/reinstall routine and see if anything different happens.

I've tried Foxit and several other PDF readers and they all seem to have their
own problems when getting mixed up with web browsers....