Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
On 9/16/2011 2:44 AM, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

Justin Wood (:Callek)<bugspam.cal...@gmail.com> 2011-09-15 17:27:41
PDT ---

No it is a "Core Gecko" bug, we use the
|general.useragent.compatMode.firefox|
preference for this.

It also can't be labeled "compatible" because many(!) UA sniffing
scripts treat
that as suddenly meaning MSIE. We only have Firefox listed in the UA
due to
many broken UA sniffing scripts.

We *STILL* have SeaMonkey in the UA for the very reason that we do
not want to
lie to people who care to check it properly.

Given the above comments, and those by the Core Developers I'm
marking this
WONTFIX, please no more advocacy in this bug.

I am very disappointed. However, there is still hope : how would
you react to a proposal that the user preference

Edit / Preferences / Advanced / HTTP Networking /User Agent String /
Advertise Firefox compatibility

default to<unchecked> ?

I would be against it, we enabled it due to soo many (especially
popular) website being broken due to "bad" browser sniffing, that is
automatically fixed by enabling that.

I would be for it because the sites need to be fixed to sniff on the word Gecko instead of FF or SM. If they are no then we don't need to be visiting them. And they need to be told so. by the head of Mozilla by US Mail letter not just an email.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com