Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

Dustbin wrote:
FireFox is now presuming to bypass my firewall without asking
permission to access the internet. WHat is worse, is that it does not
appear in the list of programmes so that I can set whether it has
permission or not.

In order to protect myself it may be necessary to stop using FireFox
altogether.

Is everything at mozilla going pear-shaped?

I am no apologist for Seamonkey/Firefox/Mozilla/<etc>, but ...

if a program /can/ bypass your firewall without asking permission,
and without your granting permission, then it is not so much a firewall
as a placebo, and should be upgraded/updated/replaced immediately.

Usually teh way this happens is the install grants itself permission. I then have deny it permission explicitly. I am not happy about teh way the firewall (ZoneAlarm) allows this. But I found a few days ago that FF got through and when I went to the appropriate page in the FireWall to reset it; it was not set! That is why the question arose.

D.

Philip Taylor