Jim wrote:
>[...]we have to use the site www.employeeexpress.gov.[...]
>It requires Firefox or IE 7.0 or 8.0.

This is one of the most common topics discussed at this group.
The situation is an artifact of massively incompetent "Web developers"
who learned to use ONE tool and stopped their "education" there
--and never learned THE BASICS.

This "sniffing" is NOT NECESSARY
and most of the idiots who do it anyway, do it WRONG.
The page we usually point to was put up by David E. Ross,
one of the regulars here:
http://rossde.com/internet/Webdevelopers.html#sniff

The SeaMonkey developers got so tired of the situation
that (even though it deprecates the reputation of SM),
as mentioned, the devs have made SM report itself
**by default** as Firefox.

NOTE ALSO:
With several Certificate Authorities being incompetent dirtbags,
http://google.com/search?q=Diginotar+Comodo+DigiCert
you should also use that as a reason
to get the **most recent** version of your browser(s).

>Can I install FF, just for the purpose of accessing this site

That is not necessary.  Just do an end-run
around the incompetent idiots who built these crap sites
and lie to to them about what software you are running.