Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/11/12 8:19 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
I'm reposting the following (with a new subject) since I received no
response to the original, which was posted last month.

I'm tired of seeing Web pages with text at the very edge of my
SeaMonkey
window. I assume I can add CSS properties to either userChrome.css or
userContent.css when a page fails to specify margins.

Is there a tutorial or guide on how to construct the appropriate CSS?
What is the difference between userChrome.css and userContent.css?

I have received help here before about specific changes to those two
files, and the help did indeed work. But I would like to learn how to
do it myself without having to ask for each situation.

How about we start with one or two of these pages that don't have the
margins? At least that way, we can see what type of CSS needs to be
added. Give links.

I'll let you know the next time I encounter such a page.

Please note: The pages are NOT mine; I cannot alter the CSS for the
pages.

Yes, I know that, else you would have no need for the userContent and
userChrome files.

However, I believe that I can insert CSS into either
userChrome.css on userContent.css in SeaMonkey's chrome directory to
override the CSS for the offending pages.

Yes you can. But it all depends on how those pages are constructed.
Also, anything you write will apply to all web pages you visit.

As WLS said, "In that folder are example userChrome-example.css, and
userContent-example.css files." If you haven't already, make *copies* of
each of those two files in the same directory, and *drop* the "-example"
part of the filename. Examples are examples. You need to work with the
live files.

And study up on: !important

Someone pointed out this add-on to me a few weeks ago to override bad CSS on a case-by-case basis:

http://userstyles.org/

Perhaps you will find it useful.

Dave