chicagofan wrote:
Gerald Ross wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 02/14/2012 08:44 AM, chicagofan wrote:
.... which has SM 2.7 already, without any problems/conflicts?

I would like to copy my present SM 2.0.14 program to my new laptop,
instead of copying off some files. Is that possible? I may go back to
2.0.14 if this will work.
bj

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.7/
First item under known issues.

Is the 2.0.14 program still working? If so, here is the way I do it.
1. Install 2.o.14 on the new computer, but don't open it. It needs to be
installed in the same directory as on the old setup. This will get the
program registered with Windows. If you are going from Win XP to Win 7
there may be an issue here as it uses different places for the files.

That is what I am worried about. Where are the SM 2.7 files on Win7? My
2.0.14 files are on WinXP now. :(

By default, they're at C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\ (this folder contains your extensions, profiles, etc.).

The actual program resides (again, by default) at C:\Program Files (x86)\SeaMonkey\. But I wouldn't mess with that.

Here's the routine I used to use on WinXP Pro; you can do much the same thing on Win7:

1) Ensure that both computers have the same version of SM and the same add-ons/extensions installed. I can't promise what will happen if you drop v. 2.7 files into a v. 2.0 installation, and if you don't like the results, don't complain to me.

It's probably best if you have the same helper apps available, too. For example, if one SM thinks it should open .doc files with MS Word and the other one has only OpenOffice, you could have trouble if someone emails you such a file and you try to open it directly in SM.

2) On the target computer, with SM closed, rename the folder C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Application Data\Mozilla\ to \OldMozilla\.

3) With SM closed on both computers, copy the corresponding folder \Mozilla from the source computer to the target computer.

4) Launch SM on the target computer and you're up and running.

If it doesn't work, shut down SM, delete the new \Mozilla\ folder, and rename \OldMozilla\ to \Mozilla\ and you'll be back where you started with no harm done.

Paul B. Gallagher