On 04/08/2012 01:02 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 04/07/2012 07:21 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>>>
>>> I never was able to get any sort of filter to work even Chris I
>>> suggestion. But fortunately Google had a problem come up where it lost
>>> its connection USENET for about a week. The people spreading the junk
>>> got tired when they discovered only they were reading. I was hoping it
>>> would stay broke for 30 years. but no such luck. I just have try
>>> creating filters  when it starts up next  time.
>>>

>> I gave you the filters to use to get rid of that junk. You basically
>> only need the two I mentioned.
>
> I tried them and they didn't help. I still have them set.
>
> I didn't ignore your suggestions I have them set.  Its even possible
> they were spoofing googlegroups figuring everyone would latch on to them.
>
> I am always willing to try anything, if it will help.

I just reset two filters for comp.sys.mac.apps:

1. Google groups:
Match all of the following
X-Complaints-To contains groups-ab...@google.com
Action: whatever suits you - I selected
Tag Message To Do
(simply so that I could easily still see the offending posts)

2. Crosspost:
Match all of the following
Newsgroups contains ,
Action:
Tag Message Later

Note: you can of course filter on a specific cross posted newsgroup(s)
such as 'alt.support.boy...'. or 'alt.politics...' etc instead of just
comma (,). Using just a comma wacks them all and you'll find guys like
Ant like to comp.sys.mac.apps, comp.sys.mac.system - just tell him to
stop cross posting (it's pretty rude to do it for every post anyway), or
filter him in by setting a filter for comp.sys.mac.system with an action
of 'Stop Filter Execution'

I turned the Filter logging on, and I then subscribed to
comp.sys.mac.apps, downloaded 1500 headers & marked the others as read.
Click on Help when you are in the filter composition window & then read
the section on 'Tip: Message filters are applied one after another.' so
that you understand how to set the priorities.

Here are some samples from the filter (I've taken the liberty of
snipping some of the possibly offensive words, and also a portion of the
email address):

Applied filter "googlegroups" to message from NEMO
<brianlambsbig...@excite.com> - When George walked out at 03/26/2012
03:18:44 PM tagged

Applied filter "googlegroups" to message from NEMO
<brianlambsbigtoe@snipped> - When George walked out at 03/26/2012
03:18:44 PM marked as read

Applied filter "Crosspost" to message from NEMO
<brianlambsbigtoe@snipped> - When George walked out at 03/26/2012
03:18:44 PM flagged

Applied filter "Crosspost" to message from NEMO
<brianlambsbigtoe@snipped>> - When George walked out at 03/26/2012
03:18:44 PM tagged

Applied filter "Crosspost" to message from OMAR BLACK <omar@snipped> -
Why All Good People Should Hate <snipped> at 03/26/2012 09:34:20 PM flagged

Applied filter "Crosspost" to message from OMAR BLACK <omar@snipped> -
Why All Good People Should Hate <snipped> at 03/26/2012 09:34:20 PM tagged

Of course there are lots more, and I could have used 'Delete Message'
etc. Actually, 'Ignore the thread' and/or 'Ignore the subthread' are IMO
better choices. That way you won't see the thread/subthread at all, but
can turn ignored thread/subthreads back on to see a post that you may
have missed but want to now see/review.

My suggestion is that you turn off all filters that you currently have
for that newsgroup, set the two I've shown you plus the filter log, then
unsubscribe and resubscribe. Try just the flagged/tagged first so that
you can see what is being flagged/tagged. Then once you're happy, reset
for 'Ignore the thread' and/or 'Ignore the subthread'. Unsubscribe &
resubscribe again. Note: the reason for unsubscribing and resubscribing
is so that filters can work on older posts that you don't want to see.
Otherwise, they will only work on newly posted messages.