I am having a very strange problem. The story is a little long. But,
necessary to describe all of the steps taken to identify and try and
solve the problem.

Several days ago my Logitech G7 mouse started freezing momentarily in
what seemed to be a random fashion. This is a wireless mouse, and
occasionally if someone on the WiFi is using a lot of bandwidth it
will interfere with the mouse's operation. I can remedy this by moving
the mouse closer to the transmitter, or just waiting for them to
finish. I didn't pay too much attention to this. But, later, when no
one else was using the net, it started doing this again. I spent about
an hour trying to figure out who was pulling bandwidth off my router,
and eventually satisfied myself this was not the cause. Of course, I
spent all kinds of time checking internal and external IP connections,
etc. to no avail. Finally, I did the logical thing and simply switched
off the access point. The problem persisted. This sent me to phase 2.

I first suspected something on my system was pulling a lot of CPU
cycles, and simply bogging things down. I verified this was not likely
the case by using various performance monitors including Microsoft
Process Explorer - a very nice tool, I might add. I then started
suspecting a driver or hardware error. I updated the drivers and
rebooted. The system seemed to start working OK - for a while. Then,
the problem reoccurred. Next was hardware. I like this mouse. So, I
have a backup. I swapped it out. Rebooted, with a power off to clear
everything, and it again started working. Fixed, I thought. Nope.
After a while, it stopped working again.

I was scratching my head. Then, I started retracing my steps since the
reboot. I use SeaMonkey almost exclusively - have since the beginning,
and occasionally Opera. I never use IE, unless a website persistently
requires it and I can't get a User Agent to fake it out. So, bottom
line, I am pretty familiar with Sea Monkey. I noticed earlier that
there was a problem with Google search. When I click the search
button, it takes me to the Google home page, as it should. When I
start typing, using their current scripts, it should switch to another
screen with the searches at the top, and start immediately listing
fully qualified search results below, dynamically adjusted as you
type. It does switch to the new page, the results are listed as
suggestions just below the text entry box - it's talking to Google.
But, nothing is generated below. There are no links. The "I feel
Lucky" link, in the same line also does nothing. If you close
SeaMonkey at this point and restart it, the correct page, with all
links, is displayed until you start typing in the search box again.

The reason I mention this is that if you play around with this effort
for a little while, trying the get the search to work, that is what
causes the mouse to start it's behavior. Once it starts, it continues
randomly, even of you close Sea Monkey. You have to reboot to clear
the problem. This is very strange. I suspected a Java bug, possibly
uncovered by a change in the page's scripts. So, I updated Java. Nope.
I started suspecting root kits, malware, viruses, etc. I am extremely
careful with such things. I don't do email on this computer at all,
and avoid all but trusted sites, generally. I also run a number of
anti-such things tools which are pretty good. Still, in today's world,
these things can slip up on you. I checked the system with every
possible tool and didn't find anything. I even went so far as to
externally monitor the connections the computer was making when I
played with Google and verified all of the links it was establishing
were normal. I have a old version of Sea Monkey co-installed in
another directory to preserve some of my old links, etc. which
couldn't be easily migrated. I tested this version and it works
perfectly. Opera and IE also work. This seems to rule out a hidden
root kit or some kind of camouflaged hosts file redirect to a
malicious site - That is unless it has found a way to hook SeaMonkey,
this install, uniquely and persistently. But, if it has, as I
mentioned above, it's not establishing, or trying to establish, any
strange connections.

Now the really strange part... If I log into my Google account
everything starts working perfectly, as it should. If I log out, or
restart SeaMonkey the problem reoccurs immediately.

I rolled back to version 2.9 and the same problem exists there.

Sorry for the long post. But, I have looked at this thing pretty
exhaustively and can't figure our what's up. I can work around by
logging in. But, why does this help? The mouse issue is also strange.

Any ideas?