Daniel wrote:
Jim Taylor wrote:
Daniel wrote:

<Snip>

I don't know if you are the only one that sees a problem with it, but
you may well be. I certainly don't see a problem with it. Even on a
system that is eligible for a partial upgrade I think that if there
is a
problem with the upgrade server it falls back to a full download. Maybe
you are one of the very few people left who has to pay for internet
service by the byte, but for most of us it just isn't that big a
deal. I
always download the full package on at least one system anyway just to
have it available in case I have to do a fresh install or back off an
update. Look at it as the price you have to pay for not keeping your
systems patched with the latest updates.

Jim

Well, I'm happy for you downloading the entire file each and ever
time, Jim, If you don't have to worry about your download limit,
congratulations!

Yes, I was on a system where I paid for each and every byte
downloaded, So I was happy when the SeaMonkey Council announced that
they would be producing upgrade packs as well as the full versions.
Seems they've only done it to a limited extent......pity, they are so
hard-working, that they couldn't fix this problem, as well!

It's unfortunate that you don't have unlimited download, but I think you
are in the minority these days.

Jim, my download limit is greatly increased, now-a-days, but cannot see
the logic in downloading a big file, just because I can. And why would
the busy SeaMonkey Council volunteers produce an update file if they
didn't want people to use them??

And it is a non issue if you let it do
the updates as they come out.

But as I have SM set-up to check each week, and, before that weekly
event occurs, it is know that the update has problems, why update?

And doing it like Microsoft and including
cumulative updates is not the answer. That's part of the reason
Microsoft SPs are huge. You complain about a 23 Meg SeaMonkey download,
what do you say about a 400 Meg Microsoft download?

As I've update Win7 each second Tuesday of the Month (or there-abouts),
I've never had a 400MB MS d/l, but, then again, I've never d/l'ed a Win7
SP! Should I have??

With a full package
being only 23 Meg. you would be further ahead taking the updates when
the come out and in the rare case where a update had server problems
downloading the previous full package and backing off the update.

But if you don't want to install the updates as they come out and don't
want to download the full package you can still download the partials
and install them manually in order. You can find the instructions at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Software_Update:Manually_Installing_a_MAR_file

In your case (using Windows en-us updates as an example) going from 2.8
to 2.9.1 you could have downloaded
ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.9/update/win32/en-US/seamonkey-2.8-2.9.partial.mar

and installed it (5910 KB) and then downloaded
ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.9.1/update/win32/en-US/seamonkey-2.9-2.9.1.partial.mar

and installed it (918 KB).

Jim

As I've yet to do the update for my Win7 version, I thank you for this
information, as it means I'll be able to update the Win7 SM with-out
d/l'ing the full 20-odd MB.

(Bugger, I've just noticed they are the WIN32 versions......will have to
go looking for the WOW64 equivalents!!)

Just went to ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.9/update/ and it lists Linux-I686, Mac and Win32 bit versions only.

Guess this is part-and-parcel of the 64bit versions *not* being fully supported but treated as *contributed* versions!

Oh, well!

--
Daniel