Jim Taylor wrote:
Snip

Daniel wrote:
Jim Taylor wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Jim, my download limit is greatly increased, now-a-days, but cannot
see the logic in downloading a big file, just because I can. And why
would the busy SeaMonkey Council volunteers produce an update file if
they didn't want people to use them??

And it is a non issue if you let it do
the updates as they come out.

But as I have SM set-up to check each week, and, before that weekly
event occurs, it is know that the update has problems, why update?

And doing it like Microsoft and including
cumulative updates is not the answer. That's part of the reason
Microsoft SPs are huge. You complain about a 23 Meg SeaMonkey download,
what do you say about a 400 Meg Microsoft download?

As I've update Win7 each second Tuesday of the Month (or
there-abouts), I've never had a 400MB MS d/l, but, then again, I've
never d/l'ed a Win7 SP! Should I have??

With a full package
being only 23 Meg. you would be further ahead taking the updates when
the come out and in the rare case where a update had server problems
downloading the previous full package and backing off the update.

But if you don't want to install the updates as they come out and don't
want to download the full package you can still download the partials
and install them manually in order. You can find the instructions at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Software_Update:Manually_Installing_a_MAR_file

In your case (using Windows en-us updates as an example) going from 2.8
to 2.9.1 you could have downloaded
ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.9/update/win32/en-US/seamonkey-2.8-2.9.partial.mar

and installed it (5910 KB) and then downloaded
ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.9.1/update/win32/en-US/seamonkey-2.9-2.9.1.partial.mar

and installed it (918 KB).

Jim

As I've yet to do the update for my Win7 version, I thank you for this
information, as it means I'll be able to update the Win7 SM with-out
d/l'ing the full 20-odd MB.

(Bugger, I've just noticed they are the WIN32 versions......will have
to go looking for the WOW64 equivalents!!)

I think that is the WOW64 version. WOW64 is the subsystem that runs 32
bit applications on 64 Bit Windows. I don't think there is an official
64 bit version of SeaMonkey yet so unless you are running a contributed
build (which I don't think has update capability) you are running the
WIN32 version.

As to Windows updates that depends on when you got it. There is a SP1
and it was a big download. Windows 7 SP1 x64-based (64-bit): 1050 MB. I
use Windows auto update on my Win7 and XP and have seen huge downloads.
The Dot-Net Framework updates all pushed 100 MB and when they come in
with others it all add up to a pretty big download and all the XP and
Vista SP's were huge. My SUSE Linux system seems to be downloading
updates all the time and I don't even try to figure out how much it
downloads. And I keep SeaMonkey updated on 5 systems so I'm glad I'm not
on dial-up anymore.

Jim

Jim

Jim, I'm cross-posting and setting follow-up to the moz.general group, as we're now discussing Windows, not SeaMonkey, and I don't what to draw the powers that be down on either of us!!

Hopefully, I'll see you there to continue this discussion!!

--
Daniel