Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
G Tod wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
The most important setting if your incoming mail looks too small is the
minimum font size. The basic size setting applies when the HTML document
(message or web page) doesn't specify a size; the minimum kicks in if it
does specify a size smaller than the minimum

Thanks for taking the time, Paul.  So...if the minimum is supposed to
kick in if it does specify a smaller size, then there's something wrong
with my SM mail?  Because this is obviously not happening, with my
minimum set to 16 and no serifed fonts selected anywhere, I still get
tiny, serifed fonts...sounds like something's out of whack....?

Or, is it possible the authors have somehow specified this particular
tiny font and "locked" it in so the recipient's mail program cannot
change it?

OK, two more questions:

1) What happens if you do CTRL-0 (numeral zero, not letter "O")? That
should reset the size. Doesn't it?

Yes, it does.

2) If you examine the full headers, can you find a line reading
charset="<something unexpected>"? For example, if the sender specifies
charset="UTF-8" do you get different results from charset="Western"?

I'm not real sure exactly what I'm looking for here, but.... I see nothing that says charset ="Western". I checked the "Content-Type" lines and found the following:

E-mails with the "tiny text syndrome" had the following Content Types:

text/html; charset="UTF-8"

text/html; charset=utf-8

multipart/alternative; boundary="_----------=_MCPart_1593885945"

multipart/alternative; boundary="_----------=_MCPart_669633312"

multipart/alternative; boundary="b1_5b0d220a1ea9cbaf6856fe8ef0fb81b5"

multipart/mixed; boundary=----4Oz1cemc-VaPAg2ba9qUy7nc-P.mV

E-mails from one source with the following content type show up properly:

multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_02B2_01CD447D.ADE6FE90"

Also, I see some of my plain text messages are showing up in Arial and some in Verdana.....? Two fonts I have chosen in Edit - Preferences - Appearance - Fonts. But I can't understand why the same one is not being used all the time.