G Tod wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

OK, two more questions:

1) What happens if you do CTRL-0 (numeral zero, not letter "O")? That
should reset the size. Doesn't it?

Yes, it does.

Good, then do that whenever you need to. You can still use CTRL-+/- or the mouse wheel to increase/decrease zoom on the fly.

2) If you examine the full headers, can you find a line reading
charset="<something unexpected>"? For example, if the sender specifies
charset="UTF-8" do you get different results from charset="Western"?

I'm not real sure exactly what I'm looking for here, but.... I see
nothing that says charset ="Western".

The most common examples in my incoming mail that would qualify as Western are US-ASCII, Windows-1252, and ISO-8859-1.

When you manually select the encoding for a message, the first item on the list reads "Western (ISO-8859-1)." You can refer to this list if you see an unfamiliar abbreviation such as EUC-KR because it gives the friendly name of each as well. Less-common Western encodings include ISO-8859-15, IBM-850, and MacRoman.

I checked the "Content-Type" lines and found the following:

E-mails with the "tiny text syndrome" had the following Content Types:

text/html; charset="UTF-8"

text/html; charset=utf-8

Hmm... So it's the Unicode messages that are affected.

On my machine, the zoom commands (CTRL-+/0/- and CTRL-mouse-wheel) affect all messages uniformly. Is this not so for you?

Of course, if one sender specifies 6 pt type and another specifies 12 pt type, the first will need help. But zooming will increase both by the same ratio. So when I get done with an uncooperative message, I do CTRL-0 to return to standard zoom for the rest of my mail.

Also, I see some of my plain text messages are showing up in Arial and
some in Verdana.....?  Two fonts I have chosen in Edit - Preferences -
Appearance - Fonts.  But I can't understand why the same one is not
being used all the time.

If you've chosen both, then you must've specified one for some circumstances and the other for other circumstances, right? For example, if you chose Arial for Cursive and Verdana for Fantasy, and the incoming mail used both cursive and fantasy fonts, you'd see both.

If you really want one font to be used all the time, then that's what you have to specify. Computers are really good at following orders -- to the point that if you give them a stupid order, they'll do that, too. The paradoxical bit is that if you give them a smart order, they can sometimes foul it up. ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher