Desiree wrote:
"Paul B. Gallagher" <pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote in message
news:uvkdnehqm7tlzkpsnz2dnuvz_vadn...@mozilla.org...
Desiree wrote:

I've been doing this "Test64" speed test (64MB FTP download) since I got
broadband in 2001. I suddenly can't do it on the latest SM. I get a 403
Forbidden to access test on this server error instead of getting a
download
box. I can do it just fine on SM 2.6.1. Both are running on XP Pro.  I
also
have no problems getting a download box on Fx 10 Enterprise or on the
current Opera browser.

What could be the problem on SeaMonkey 2.10.1?  Thanks.

Strange. File downloaded here in 17 seconds.

Hmmm...that's interesting.  I get the same "403 Forbidden" using both
ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test64 and ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/pub/test64.  ON
SM 2.6.1, if I try the ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/pub/test64, I get an alert
message saying this file does not exist. That indicates SM contacted the
server and got a correct response, but on SM 2.10.1 it gets the 403
Forbidden response instead. (The link with "pub" in it was dropped years ago
I think I recall. I use the first link but the second one was mentioned in
the old dslr thread (see below) and so I tried it too just now.

OOL is not my ISP but the test is available on the dslreports.com OOL forum
for anyone to use and Google lists other forums that give the llink to it. I
found this old thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9646984.  It
suggests for that user that his anon password was messed up. Could this
latest SM version be mangling the anon password?

BTW, this is a clean install of SM 2.10.1. It is not installed on top of an
older version.  I didn't think I'd like it (that is why I have still have
2.6 on the host computer) but I really do like it!

Paul B. Gallagher

My other post where I said it worked for me crossed with this one of yours so ignore where I said post the exact url you were using. We are using the same one and I am also not a OOL subscriber. I doubt that it is a problem with the anonymous password because that site does not require one and seems to accept anything (or none). And unless you have changed advanced.mailftp from its default of false in about:config SeaMonkey will send mozi...@example.com for a password which it accepts.

--
Jim