"Desiree" <melel...@medscape.com> wrote in message
news:yfudnu1wva2vf8_nnz2dnuvz_sadn...@mozilla.org...

> "Richard Owlett" <rowl...@pcnetinc.com> wrote in message
>> Desiree wrote:
>>> My Firefox versions (4.0.1 and 10.0.7 Enterprise) do not support SPDY.
>>> Sea
>>> Monkey 2.12.1 supports SPDV.  I am going to disable it in about:config
>>> partly because of the current security vulnerability and also because
>>> there
>>> is no extension for Sea Monkey to let me know when SPDV is used. I tried
>>> install SPDY indicator for Fx on Sea Monkey but it will not install. Is
>>> there a trick that will get it to install?
>>
>> In English please ;/
>> A very loose translation of the likely French version of question might
>> be:
>>    What does SPDY wish to say?
>>
>> IOW "HUH"????
>

> Here's a good article summarizing SPDY (sorry for the mistype where I used
> "v" instead of "y").
>

> SPDY is a type of compression developed by Google for Chrome that
> dramatically speeds up SSL and HTTPS sessions on websites that use it.
> Currently there is a security exploit involving SPDY. IE is not affected
> because it doesn't use SPDY at all. Opera doesn't use it either but will
> be introducing it in Opera 12.50. Fx 15 uses it as does the current
> version of Sea Monkey. (I don't know what version of SM it was introduced
> in but I have an old version of SM 2.6.1 that doesn't have it). Chrome and
> Fx both have extensions (and Opera will have an extension for Opera 12.5)
> that allow the user to know when SPDY is used at a website as it is
> transparent to the user.
>
> I think the update to 2.12.1 was partly to patch the vulnerability?
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09/crime-hijacks-https-sessions/
> Google and Twitter support SPDY. Luckily, my versions of Fx (4 and 10 ESR)
> do not support it because I use Google Sharing extension on Fx and that
> forces SSL for Google search so I would have been vulnerable to CRIME (the
> exploit) until a patch for Fx if I was using more recent Fx version. I
> do/did have a vulnerable Sea Monkey but I think the latest upgrade was
> partly for the patch for this vulnerability. Plus, very unfortunately,
> Google Sharing extension will not install on Sea Monkey (and is a main
> reason I have Fx as my default browser) so Google search on SM is "http"
> for me and thus no SPDY.  I have Twitter blocked in my Hosts file so the
> fact it uses SPDY is irrelevant for me.
>
> If Sea Monkey is going to implement SPDY then we need the Fx extension, or
> one just for SM, working on SM so users can monitor what sites are using
> SPDY.

Here's the URL I forgot earlier that has a good summary of SPDY. It's an
Opera article but has good background on SPDY and not nerdy either. There is
probably a good Mozilla article too but someone posted the opera one in a
thread that I am reading currently so I haven't gone looking for a
comparable Mozilla article.

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-spdy-build/