Robert Kaiser wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher schrieb:
Even so, why would v. 2.12.1 elicit such a dire warning?

I was referring to the
     "Warning! You're using an old stable version of SeaMonkey".
quoted in the original post.

And the reply to that is "Because it has some grave security issues that
are fixed in 2.13.*" - and updates should work now that 2.13.1 has been
released.

It makes sense now, but at the time I posted that, even I, a frequent reader of this NG, had not heard the slightest hint that there was a problem with 2.12.1 (hence my question), and as far as I knew it was the latest stable release. Version 2.13 was not available, which was bound to cause confusion -- if the devs thought it was such a big deal, we users would expect them to act accordingly, which would include making the update available. To tell someone "you're in danger but you can't do anything about it" is not helpful, it's just annoying.

Moreover, critical updates (as M$ calls them) should always be made available automatically as soon as possible. After all, most users probably use that function rather than take the initiative to go to the SeaMonkey website frequently to check whether the sky is falling.

Paul B. Gallagher