On 11/01/2012 10:47 AM, Gerry wrote:
> I enjoy using Seamonkey I like the totality of the suite. I'm using
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.I have SM 2.8 & I'm encouraged to download 2.13.1 which
> I've done (to /****/****/Downloads) I extract the file but then what?...
> I appreciate this a very basic request but I don't think I canbe the
> only one.

Easiest way is to follow Walt's advice (somewhat modified). Create a new
folder 'seamonkey':

  /seamonkey

Move the bz2 download to that folder and extract there (right click in
Nautilus & select 'extract here'). That will create a subfolder 'seamonkey':

  /seamonkey/seamonkey

To run that version of SeaMonkey, open a terminal and:
$ /home/<username>/seamonkey/seamonkey/seamonkey

Once SeaMonkey you are happy that everything is working, create a launcher:

$ gedit /home/<username>/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop

Now copy & paste the following into the file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=SeaMonkey
Name[ast]=Veceru de corréu SeaMonkey
Name[ca]=Client de correu SeaMonkey
Name[cs]=Poštovní klient SeaMonkey
Name[da]=SeaMonkey - e-post/nyhedsgruppe
Name[de]=SeaMonkey-E-Mail und -Nachrichten
Name[es]=Cliente de correo SeaMonkey
Name[fi]=SeaMonkey-sähköposti
Name[fr]=Messagerie SeaMonkey
Name[gl]=Cliente de correo SeaMonkey
Name[he]=SeaMonkey דוא״ל/חדשות
Name[hr]=SeaMonkey e-pošta/novosti
Name[hu]=SeaMonkey levelezőkliens
Name[it]=Email SeaMonkey
Name[ko]=SeaMonkey
Name[nl]=SeaMonkey e-mail/nieuws
Name[pl]=Klient poczty SeaMonkey
Name[pt_BR]=Cliente de E-mail SeaMonkey
Name[ru]=Почтовый клиент SeaMonkey
Name[sk]=SeaMonkey - poštový klient a novin
Name[sv]=E-postklienten SeaMonkey
Name[ug]=SeaMonkey ئېلخەت/خەۋەر
Name[zh_CN]=SeaMonkey 邮件/新闻
Name[zh_TW]=SeaMonkey 郵件
Comment=Send and receive mail with SeaMonkey
Comment[ast]=Lleer y escribir corréu electrónicu
Comment[ca]=Llegiu i escriviu correu
Comment[cs]=Čtení a psaní pošty
Comment[da]=Skriv/læs e-post/nyhedsgruppe med SeaMonkey
Comment[de]=E-Mails und Nachrichten mit SeaMonkey lesen und schreiben
Comment[es]=Lea y escriba correos y noticias con SeaMonkey
Comment[fi]=Lue ja kirjoita sähköposteja
Comment[fr]=Lire et écrire des courriels
Comment[gl]=Lea e escriba correo electrónico
Comment[he]=קריאה/כתיבה של דוא״ל/חדשות באמצעות SeaMonkey
Comment[hr]=Čitajte/šaljite e-poštu s SeaMonkey
Comment[hu]=Levelek írása és olvasása a SeaMonkeydel
Comment[it]=Per leggere e scrivere email
Comment[ja]=メールの読み書き
Comment[ko]=SeaMonkey 메일/뉴스 읽기 및 쓰기 클라이언트
Comment[nl]=E-mail/nieuws lezen en schrijven met SeaMonkey
Comment[pl]=Czytanie i wysyłanie e-maili
Comment[pt_BR]=Ler e escrever suas mensagens
Comment[ru]=Читайте и пишите письма
Comment[sk]=Čítajte a píšte poštu, čítajte novinky pomocou programu
SeaMonkey
Comment[sv]=Läs och skriv e-post
Comment[ug]=ئېلخەت ۋە خەۋەرلەرنى SeaMonkey دا كۆرۈش ۋە يېزىش
Comment[zh_CN]=阅读邮件或新闻
Comment[zh_TW]=以 SeaMonkey 讀寫郵件或新聞
GenericName=Mail Client
Exec=/home/<username>/seamonkey/seamonkey/seamonkey %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/home/<username>/seamonkey/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default48.png/default.png
Categories=Application;Network;Email;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;x-scheme-handler/mailto;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;
StartupWMClass=SeaMonkey
StartupNotify=true
GenericName[ast]=Client de correu
GenericName[ca]=Client de correu
GenericName[da]=E-postklient
GenericName[de]=E-Mail-Anwendung
GenericName[es]=Cliente de correo
GenericName[fi]=Sähköpostiohjelma
GenericName[fr]=Client de messagerie
GenericName[gl]=Cliente de correo electrónico
GenericName[he]=לקוח דוא״ל
GenericName[hr]=Klijent e-pošte
GenericName[hu]=Levelezőkliens
GenericName[it]=Client email
GenericName[ko]=메일 클라이언트
GenericName[nl]=E-mailprogramma
GenericName[ru]=Почтовый клиент
GenericName[sk]=Poštový klie
GenericName[ug]=ئېلخەت دېتالى
GenericName[zh_CN]=邮件新闻客户端
GenericName[zh_TW]=郵件用戶端

Be sure to change <username> to your actual username in the file. Save
the file & exit gedit. Now open Nautilus and go to where you just
created the desktop file:
/home/<username>/.local/share/applications/
click & hold on the seamonkey.desktop file & drag it over to your Unity
launch bar, release. Note: if you have issues with the launch bar not
appearing, press & hold the Super key (Windows key on some keyboards).

Note that I had you create the launcher in
/home/<username>/.local/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop. The reason
for that is I (and other 12.04 users) do not use Unity, I use GNOME
Classic instead. By putting it in the
/home/<username>/.local/share/applications/ the menu item will show when
I open my menu. If you switch to GNOME Fallback (I think that's what it
is), SeaMonkey will show up in your menu as well.

Also note that I left in the multiple languages in the 'Desktop Entry'.
Again, this is so that a non-english speaker can use the file as well.

And final note: The SeaMonkey icon is not where you'd expect it to be...
it's not in the 'icons' folder. Instead it is in:
/home/<username>/seamonkey/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/default.png
(and default16.png & default48.png). That is why I added the full path
in the 'Desktop Entry'.

All of the above takes a few moments to set up. Once done you shouldn't
have to do it again. When the next version of SeaMonkey comes out, you
can update from Help|Check for Updates if your version is 32bit. If it
is 64bit, you'll need to download each time, move the bz2 to
/home/<username>/seamonkey/. Rename your old /seamonkey/seamonkey to
/seamonkey/seamonkey_old and then extract the bz2. And you're back in
business with the new version.