On 12/31/12 9:53 AM, BIll Spikowski wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> BIll Spikowski wrote:
>>> I'm a longtime Seamonkey user with multiple computers at different
>>> locations.
>>>
>>> They all run Windows XP and are set up identically, to open PDF links
>>> in a new tab.
>>>
>>> For the past week or two, each computer frequently has the same
>>> problem. Instead of PDF links opening, I get a blank grey screen that
>>> says "Check for updates... Click here to activate plugin." This used
>>> to happen occasionally and could be corrected by closing Acrobat.exe
>>> in Task Manager and reloading the PDF link, but now it happens very
>>> frequently on every computer -- and my old fix never works.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else encountered this problem? It just kills me to have to
>>> keep switching to clunky IE to open PDF links!
>>>

>> Check in Tools - Add-ons Manager to see if there is a Adobe PDF plugin
>> and deactivate it.  Also, go into Adobe Reader and turn off updates.
>>
>> And unless you have some love for Adobe Reader, uninstall and get the
>> free Foxit PDF reader:
>

> I have no love for Adobe Reader, but I use the full Adobe Acrobat
> version 9.5, which is listed as a plug-in in the Add-ons Manager. If I
> disable that, do you know what will happen? Is that decision easily
> reversible?
>
> I hesitate to turn off Adobe updates, given the dire security warnings
> they keep providing!
>
> I'm normally happy just to experiment, but when it comes to the
> interaction of Adobe Acrobat and Seamonkey, it's a complete mystery to
> me, and I've learned to hesitate tinkering with a PDF setup that
> finally works for me...

Your Adobe Acrobat 9.5 -- is that the reader or the writer?

I found out years ago that if you install the writer, you need to
reinstall the reader.  Yes, they will work okay without doing that; but
SeaMonkey will then view PDF files in the writer instead of the reader.

Also, you should turn off updates.  On the reader's menu bar, select
[Edit > Preferences > Updater], select the last radio button, and then
the okay button.  Periodically, manually check
<http://get.adobe.com/reader/> to see if there is a new version.

The current version of the reader is 11.0.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Are taxes too high in the U.S.?  Check the bar graph
at <http://www.rossde.com/taxes/trickling.html> to see.