I am using SeaMonkey 2.17.1 on WinXP Pro SP3
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0 SeaMonkey/2.17.1
Build identifier: 20130410205058

I just updated from SM 2.12 to 2.17.1, taking the opportunity to cleanup my obsolete profile [some items likely trace their history back to Netscape 4.?].

My procedure was to:
 1. rename prefs.js
 2. delete user.js
3. create a new profile - object being to get a clean default prefs.js 4. start SeaMonkey once with that profile in case there was any housekeeping required
 5. copy the resulting prefs.js to my "active" profile directory
6. create a user.js containing only lines containing "mailnews" from the old prefs.js 7. start SeaMonkey once with that profile encase there was any housekeeping required 8. create my desired user.js containing those items that may be changed during a session but I wish to be in a specific state each time I start SeaMonkey. 9. Run SeaMonkey tweaking some preferences with Edit->Preferences (start page etc)

I now have two browser and one news problems. I've determined that they are profile related as I have the same set of symptoms running SM 2.12 or 2.17.1 .

In the browser:

I get a drop down message bar saying:
"SeaMonkey prevented this page from automatically reloading."
An affected URL is [http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=&sid=KSGF&num=48&raw=0&dbn=m&banner=off]

When doing a Google search, either by entering search terms in URL box and clicking "Search" or by going to https://www.google.com/ and entering terms there.
I get a drop down message bar saying:
"SeaMonkey prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page."
There is no problem once in Google re specifying search terms.

When using USENET

I use two news servers news.supernews.com and news.mozilla.org .
In news.supernews.com, when there are new messages in a group an icon shows before the groups title. That icon remains until I have displayed all the new messages or switched to another group regardless of whether or not there are messages marked as unread [that is DESIRED behavior].
In news.mozilla.org that icon never appears.

I've unsuccessfully searched for the incorrect setting.

Suggestions. TIA