On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 03:46:19 -0500, Rob wrote:
Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@xn--kba.invalid> wrote:

The 'dim' effect is produced by a CSS file messageBody.css inside
omni.ja.  The file omni.ja is in the program directory.

Yes I found that, that is how I knew what the attribute is that
fouls things up.

You may be able to modify messageBody.css to achieve what you need.

To open omni.ja, see
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/About_omni.ja_%28formerly_omni.jar%29
Look inside omni.ja for the file
./chrome/classic/skin/classic/messenger/messageBody.css

Unfortunately this packing of the files (omni.ja) makes it much more
difficult to do minor tuning.  In the past I could have used a simple
search-and-replace program like gsar to modify the file after install.
Now with omni.ja that kind of thing is much more difficult.

However, there is also an omission in the program.  Before, I had
a search-and-replace in place to add a line like this:

pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");

to the default config file.  I was unhappy when I found that everything
was moved into omni.ja and this had become impossible, but at that time it
turned out that the program reads the entire contents of the directory
default/pref after startup, and I could put a fresh .js file there
after install and it would pickup that line.

Now, I think that it should do the same for .css files found in the
chrome directory.  Then I could just put a custom .css there and all
would be OK without having to fiddle with user profiles.

I don't have the answer myself. You may find a better option than unpacking and repacking omni.ja, here:
http://mike.kaply.com/2013/05/06/dont-unpack-and-repack-omni-jar/

--
Kind regards
Ralph