On 10/01/14 02:47, Ed Mullen wrote:
Daniel wrote:
On 07/01/14 23:11, Rob wrote:
Daniel <d...@albury.nospam.net.au> wrote:
On 07/01/14 20:41, Rob wrote:
Mike C <rp...@earthlink.net> wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I am having a problem with Seamonkey clearing out of memory after
closing.
I have a CPU monitor and can see it using 100% for over 2 minutes
after
closing.
I cannot restart it without going to Task Manager and killing it
during
those 2+ minutes.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chuck
   From a previous post: (6/14/2013)

It may be that SeaMonkey didn't shut down properly on some
occasion. If that happens, a file called 'parent.lock' is created,
which prevents another instance of SeaMonkey from running.

With SeaMonkey closed, locate the SeaMonkey 1.x profile, you should
find it here:

C:\Documents & Settings\<Your Windows User Name>\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt

Where 'xxxxxxxx' is a random eight-character string.

The file 'parent.lock', if present, should be in the folder
'xxxxxxxx.slt', if it is delete it.

You probably got this advise from an old article somewhere.
It is outdated.  It no longer works that way.  There is no longer
any need to perform this procedure.

The parent.lock file is always created and a file lock is held on
it.  This means that you cannot remove the file when Seamonkey is
running, and when it is (properly) closed it is possible to remove
the file.  However, this is not required as the termination of the
program automatically releases the lock on the file, and that is what
Seamonkey checks for when starting.

So, the existence of a parent.lock file no longer is a problem.
In the past, it was.  Then when a parent.lock existed the program
would not start (and the file was removed on clean exit).

This is, of course, assuming that SM closed correctly, so did remove
the
parent,lock file

It no longer removes the parent.lock file!
Please read it again.
The file is not removed, only the lock on it is released.
The file itself remains, and this is OK.

So what does this mean??  Is SeaMonkey altering the properties of a file
(i.e. Read Only or not) without any intervention by me??

File Lock is a Windows function that allows a process (program) to place
a lock on a file when opening it.  The file's disk attributes are not
changed.

So, Ed, if I can still write to the parent.lock file (if I wanted to, 'cause it's not set to "Read Only")), how does it lock anything??

--
Daniel

Seasons Greetings to one and all!!

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 SeaMonkey/2.23 Build identifier: 20131203183810

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0 SeaMonkey/2.22 Build identifier: 20131023190942