On 1/11/14 10:19 PM +0900, Daniel wrote:
On 11/01/14 04:07, Ed Mullen wrote:
Daniel wrote:
On 10/01/14 02:47, Ed Mullen wrote:

File Lock is a Windows function that allows a process (program) to place
a lock on a file when opening it.  The file's disk attributes are not
changed.

So, Ed, if I can still write to the parent.lock file (if I wanted to,
'cause it's not set to "Read Only")), how does it lock anything??

You CANNOT write to a Windows "locked" file.  The file attribute has
nothing to do with the Windows' lock function.

With SeaMonkey running I used my text editor (EditPad Pro) to try to
open parent.lock.  Here's the message I got:

http://edmullen.net/temp/c0110.jpg

As I explained in another reply in this thread, try the same with Word.
  Open a file in Word.  Try to open the file in Excel.  You'll get a
similar message that the file is in use:

http://edmullen.net/temp/c0110b.jpg

This last link has a button with the words "Read Only" on it. Does this
imply that the "Read Only" property has been set because the file is
already in use?

No, it means that you programmatically open the file in a manner that cannot write to the file in any way. It does not invoke the file system's 'read-only' attribute.

Does this imply, then, that when SM is running, the parent.lock file has
its "Read Only" property set??

No, it does not.
--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan