On Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:50:07 AM UTC-5, Ken F wrote:
> Composer inserts characters & symbols display OK when preparing html
> webpages. When viewed on the web, Firefox will display a <black diamond
> w/white ?> for many (all?) of the inserted symbols & characters.
>

> Example links:
>

> Test page -
>
> http://spontoon.rootoon.com/SPwTest1.html
>
> Looks OK in View/ Preview. In View/ html, the actual symbol seems to be
> inserted rather than an html code for the symbol.
>

> (The following may be a separate problem?)
>
> A page originally prepared in Mozilla Composer in 2001, with copyright
> symbols added in reloads every year. This last year it was not possible to
> directly insert a copyright symbol for 2013 - I had to cut-&-paste. Now, it
> appears in my Firefox browser that all the copyright symbols (and an
> accent-'e') have reverted to '<?>' (Unknown character?).
>
> http://spontoon.rootoon.com/SPwHome1.html
>

> My apologies in advance if I am overlooking any obvious html-development
> knowledge.
>

> Thank you for your patience,
>
> Ken

Thanks for favors granted to the kami of Saint Seamonkey of Composer.

I finally discovered the low-tech-knowledge fix, which was suggested by Trane
Francks twice on this support group. I had not really understood what he was
suggesting. (For over 10 years, most of my uploads had been a basic pattern of
using the Composer symbols toolbar, rather than the top text toolbar on the
screen.)

I am a hobbyist website tinkerer. I don't really know all the capabilities of
the Composer software.

Recently, I went back to the Composer page, intending to check all the tool
links to see if I had missed anything.

Because you all shared the proper vocabulary for the changes I needed, I was
able to recognize what the top-line "Files" drop-down buttons offered. Besides
"Save", there was (of course) "Save & change character encoding"... with the
drop-downs offered of many encoding systems... including Unicode (UTF-8). This
may not be as elegant as using a form of global change software, I can go in
and make the changes webpage by webpage, for the 100 or so webpages that have
the encoding problem. I've been doing this.

Thank you all for your comments so I could recognize the basic fix built into
the Composer software.

I do not know the reasons for why there was a change in the older webpage
displays from 8 years ago or more (with changes starting about 2 years ago).
Maybe I don't need to know, if I can do the fix.

Several of you mentioned that the 'problem' character encoding in my webpage
headers was for "windows-1252". Is it a co-incidence that the drop-down list
for "Save & change character encoding" lists the codes alphabetically, and that
Windows-1252 is at the bottom of the list (and the at-rest location of the
cursor)?

Thank you all, and thanks again to the kami of Seamonkey,
Ken Fletcher