Ken F wrote:
On Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:50:07 AM UTC-5, Ken F wrote:
Composer inserts characters & symbols display OK when preparing html webpages. When
viewed on the web, Firefox will display a <black diamond w/white ?> for many (all?) of
the inserted symbols & characters.

Example links:

Test page -

http://spontoon.rootoon.com/SPwTest1.html

Looks OK in View/ Preview. In View/ html, the actual symbol seems to be
inserted rather than an html code for the symbol.

(The following may be a separate problem?)

A page originally prepared in Mozilla Composer in 2001, with copyright symbols added in
reloads every year. This last year it was not possible to directly insert a copyright
symbol for 2013 - I had to cut-&-paste. Now, it appears in my Firefox browser that
all the copyright symbols (and an accent-'e') have reverted to '<?>' (Unknown
character?).

http://spontoon.rootoon.com/SPwHome1.html

My apologies in advance if I am overlooking any obvious html-development
knowledge.

Thank you for your patience,

Ken

Thanks for favors granted to the kami of Saint Seamonkey of Composer.

I finally discovered the low-tech-knowledge fix, which was suggested by Trane
Francks twice on this support group. I had not really understood what he was
suggesting. (For over 10 years, most of my uploads had been a basic pattern of
using the Composer symbols toolbar, rather than the top text toolbar on the
screen.)

I am a hobbyist website tinkerer. I don't really know all the capabilities of
the Composer software.

Recently, I went back to the Composer page, intending to check all the tool
links to see if I had missed anything.

Because you all shared the proper vocabulary for the changes I needed, I was able to recognize what the top-line
"Files" drop-down buttons offered. Besides "Save", there was (of course) "Save &
change character encoding"... with the drop-downs offered of many encoding systems... including Unicode
(UTF-8). This may not be as elegant as using a form of global change software, I can go in and make the changes
webpage by webpage, for the 100 or so webpages that have the encoding problem. I've been doing this.

Thank you all for your comments so I could recognize the basic fix built into
the Composer software.

I do not know the reasons for why there was a change in the older webpage
displays from 8 years ago or more (with changes starting about 2 years ago).
Maybe I don't need to know, if I can do the fix.

Several of you mentioned that the 'problem' character encoding in my webpage headers was for
"windows-1252". Is it a co-incidence that the drop-down list for "Save & change
character encoding" lists the codes alphabetically, and that Windows-1252 is at the bottom of the
list (and the at-rest location of the cursor)?

Thank you all, and thanks again to the kami of Seamonkey,
Ken Fletcher

Ken, you should be aware that development of the Web Composer part of SeaMonkey/Mozilla/Netscape stopped dead in it tracks MANY years ago. And it's an outdated model of Web development. Anyone serious about page dev learns CSS and HTML and writes in a plain-text editor which actually requires knowlege about HTML and CSS standards.

The offshoots of Composer aren't much better nor much more well developed and I won't even mention them here.

WYSIWG (What You See Is What You Get) editors like Composer are fairly disdained in serious Web design circles. They rarely produce good code and frequently produce horrible code that causes casual designers more grief than good.

Learn HTML and CSS by using online resources and good books.

Use the validator services to check your pages:

http://validator.w3.org/

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

--
Ed Mullen