MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 20/01/2014 22:15, Mort told the world:
Hi,

I have read conflicting ideas about the following, and would like to
have some accurate advice.

I am running Windows 7 Pro and Windows XP Pro on my 2 laptops, which
both came with Windows Defender. I also run Avast antivirus software  as
well as SuperAntiSpyware.

My XP laptop refuses to update the Defender, giving a repeat error
notice,which Windows Fixit cannot fix.

Are the Avast and antispyware sufficient? Do I need Defender also? Some
articles even said that Defender will interfere with the other programs.

Defender is an antispyware, as is SuperAntispyware and also one of the
Avast modules. It's generally assumed that it's a bad idea to have
several antimalware programs doing essentially the same thing -- they
end up interfering in one another and making your computer slow. (I have
seen at times race conditions between security software taking 99% of
the CPU on customers' machines... a Brazilian banking security tool
called G-Buster is particularly notorious for causing this. But I
digress...)

Myself, I use just the free Avast and the Windows built-in firewall
(plus, of course, a network router, which nowadays is almost unavoidable
and adds an extra barrier to direct attacks). I also have NoScript in my
main browser, which is annoying at times but makes the black hats' job
much harder. But the most important defense I have is... a suspicious
mind. I have received hundreds of phishing mail messages over the years,
for instance; I don't think I have ever fell for one.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the very nice explanation. I was vaguely aware of the problem when software programs fight each other, and it came to a head when my Defender refused to get updates, giving an error code that Microsoft could not fix.

I will now feel comfortable in simply deleting Defender. I too am alert to possible attacks, and had only one Trojan horse in 18 years of computing. It was quickly discovered and eliminated. I am as careful about unknown messages as I used to be with unknown girls in my youth.

Mort Linder