MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 22/01/2014 00:16, Mort told the world:

Thanks so much for the very nice explanation. I was vaguely aware of the
problem when software programs fight each other, and it came to a head
when my Defender refused to get updates, giving an error code that
Microsoft could not fix.

I will now feel comfortable in  simply deleting Defender. I too am alert
to possible attacks, and had only one Trojan horse in 18 years of
computing. It was quickly discovered and eliminated. I am as careful
about unknown messages as I used to be with unknown girls in my youth.

By the way, you can uninstall Defender from Windows XP but not from
Windows 7. But you can disable it in Windows 7, which is almost as good.

Thanks again for your very helpful advice.

Mort Linder