Daniel pounded out :
On 01/09/14 02:16, Ed Mullen wrote:
Daniel pounded out :
On 31/08/14 03:53, Ed Mullen wrote:
Ray_Net pounded out :
Daniel wrote, On 30/08/2014 11:55:

<Snip>

Part of my problem might have been (but I doubt it) that I was
downloading a Linux format file using Windows7 I'm sure I'd have done
it before.

I Downloaded your Linux format file under my SeaMonkey under windows 7
and SM let me choice the download place ...

1.  Right-click the file name and choose Save link target as.

Yes, Ed, I know this is a *possibility* , but the way I normally do it
is to double-click on the file that I want to download, have a screen
open which gives me the option to either "Open with ...." or "Save
File". If I select "Save File" and then click "OK", I  usually get
another screen allowing me to select where I want the file saved.

On Win7, I do not get this Location screen, but I still do in Linux!!

So, Ed, I am not suggesting that there is no way to download and save a
file, *just that the/my normal way of doing it is not possible* for me
on Win7, ATT!

 > 2.  Edit - Preferences - Browser - Helper Applications.  Find either
 > Tar, bz2, or, maybe Winzip.  Click.  Choose Always Ask.

Not trying to achieve this, Ed.

How about Edit - Preferences - Download.  That's where you can set the
behavior for when you click on a file.

Sorry, Ed, I don't have Edit - Preferences - Download ( ;-) ) but I do
have Edit - Preferences - Browser - Downloads set to "Always ask me
where to save files" - in both Windows and Linux.

Then the preference I first mentioned (in Helper Applications) is over-riding that setting. You really should check to see what the settings are for zip files.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/