mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote, On 15/10/2014 22:15:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
OldGuy wrote:

What is up with SeaMonkey?

Have GMail account and adding HotMail account.

New Hotmail defaults to Port 110 instead of 995.
I change that to 995

Worse it says it is using GMail as the Outgoing Server and there is no
way I can figure out how to rectify this to HotMail Outgoing as it
should be.

I do not want to crossbreed email accounts!!!!!

You can do it this way, but it's not really important, certainly not
worth this level of angst. Directions in the other responses.

I had a problem last week with one of my SMTP servers, so while they
were working on it I just switched my accounts to a different one. They
all worked fine before, and they all worked fine during the workaround,
and they all work fine now that repairs are complete and I've set them
back.

There's no "crossbreeding" as you call it.

I'm guessing OldGuy's concern is that GMail's SMTP server replaces the From address of any mail sent through it with the GMail address used to authenticate with the server. So:
- Read an email sent to Hotmail account.
- Reply; SeaMonkey sets the From: address to the Hotmail account.
- Send through GMail's SMTP server.
- GMail rewrites the From: address to the GMail address.
- Recipient sees the email as coming from the GMail address, not the Hotmail address.

You're supposed to be able to add other addresses to your GMail account and then be able to send from those without this happening, but I've never got that to work.

I don't know if Hotmail is similarly nasty.

Some SMTP servers (particularly those for free mail accounts or ISPs) refuse to even accept mail with a different From: address.

Mark.

That's normal ... and for my isp - i cannot send mail if i am not connected at their domain.