Daniel wrote:
On 20/11/14 05:48, EE wrote:
Daniel wrote:
On 18/11/2014 3:08 AM, Lee wrote:
On 11/17/14, Daniel <dan...@albury.net.spam.au> wrote:
On 18/11/14 00:39, Lee wrote:
On 11/17/14, okj...@gmail.com <okj...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:30:23 PM UTC+2, EE wrote:
Why is it that with SeaMonkey 2.29, the new .jsonlz4 bookmark
backups
will not restore, and the manual .json backups will now not restore
either?  Why change things so that backups are not restorable?

Why isn't this question answered, and why does the problem with
bookmark
backups prevail in 2.30 ?

I haven't tried restoring a .jsonlz4 bookmark backup, so I don't know
if it will restore or no, but as a work-around, in about:config you
can set
    browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
to true so that SeaMonkey will save your bookmarks at exit to
bookmarks.html in your profile directory.  Which isn't nice as the
last however many files saved in the bookmarkbackups directory,
but if
you do regular backups it's pretty close.

Regards,
Lee

Just FYI, Lee, I've had my SM prefs set as you indicate but I've
had no
bookmark files created (unfortunately!!) since about January. (on
either
Win7 or Linux)

before exiting SM:
11/15/2014  07:35 PM           966,972 bookmarks.html
after:
11/17/2014  10:53 AM           966,972 bookmarks.html

at the very least, it updates the timestamp for me :)

... are you expecting multiple files?  All you get is the one file,
which is why I said
        Which isn't nice as the
last however many files saved in the bookmarkbackups directory,
but if
you do regular backups it's pretty close.

59 files called "bookmarks" (no three letter extension), bookmarks-1
through to -6, one bookmarks.html, two bookmarks.html.msf (my stuffs up
from a while ago).

Just indexed them on "Date modified". The bookmarks-1 through -6 are
most recent, *except* for a file dated today, 18/11/2014, when I'm on my
Win7 incarnation of SM rather than my Linux SM.

Is it a Win7 v Linux problem I have??

With Mac OS, SeaMonkey is faithfully creating a new backup every day,
but I cannot restore any of them, so that is not much use.  The .json is
also not restorable.  I have been making a habit of saving as .html as
well all along.

.json is definitely a work in progress.

With the .html file, when you say you cannot restore any of them, what
are you doing??

When I had a problem a while ago, selecting Bookmarks->Manage Bookmarks
then, in the Bookmarks Manager, Tools->Import HTML. Then point to your
saved bookmarks.html file and away you go.

No, I cannot restore any of the compressed .jsonlz4 backups. I can certainly import .html backups if I have to do that. I made a habit of creating a .html backup as well as a .json backup.