Ray_Net wrote:
Bill Spikowski wrote on 06/12/2014 23:13:
A technical question for Dropbox users:

Usually I interact with Dropbox through the local folder on my computer;
Dropbox uploads and downloads changed files without my interaction.

However, when I email a colleague a link to a file or folder I've posted on
Dropbox, I like to test the link before sending it. (Dropbox is confusing
enough for regular users; new users are often completely baffled, even when the
link is correct!)

One way I've verified the upload is by right-clicking on the Dropbox desktop icon, then
selecting "View on dropbox.com," then looking at my new folder or files and
verifying the time and file sizes. However, that has suddenly stopped working for me in
Seamonkey, although it still works in Firefox and Chrome.

Dropbox has made a recent change that's trouble for me; the other way I
verified these links was by pasting them in my outgoing email in Seamonkey,
then clicking on the link before sending the email and making sure I'm being
sent to the right file. Dropbox now defeats that approach; their explanation is
that when a file is already on your local computer, you get redirected there
instead of to the actual link on dropbox.com.

Either of my old methods worked fine, but I prefer to stay within Seamonkey
rather than switching browsers, especially when I'm on other computers and
don't recall my passwords.

Any suggestions? Dropbox doesn't seem to have any real tech support, and I
haven't been able to find anyone else reporting this problem through Google.
You say that they said: "when a file is already on your local computer, you get
redirected there instead of to the actual link on dropbox.com."
So it's not a problem with the SM browser. Any browser will follow the dropbox
mechanism.

Right -- this one isn't a SM problem; but as it eliminates my alternate
approach, so the SM problem below becomes more critical to me!

You have just the SM problem:
"right-clicking on the Dropbox desktop icon, then selecting "View on dropbox.com,"
then looking at my new folder or files and verifying the time and file sizes. However, that has
suddenly stopped working for me in Seamonkey, although it still works in Firefox and Chrome."

Exactly.  If no other Dropbox users report this problem, I'll try to track down
some errant SM extension that might be causing this behavior  . . . .