On 12/15/2014 10:02 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Ah, forgot that I had adblock-plus turned on, went back and turned off
>> adblock-plus & reloaded the page - now I get the google NID cookie (and
>> a billion others).
>
> Huh. ABP blocks the Google cookie but SM doesn't.

That's because I've specifically set up filters in ABP to block most
Google cookies. On the NHL.com site I'm showing these filters:

||google-analytics.com^
||apis.google.com/js/*

>> Clear cookies, cache et al - set cookies to not accept cookes from 3rd
>> party sites, reload nhl.com & only see cookies from hnl.com.
>
> That's been my routine, but I still get the Google NID cookie.

I about:config check to see what is being set in
network.cookie.cookieBehavior
when you toggle between 'Block Cookies' and 'Allow cookies for the
originating website only (no third-party cookies'. It should be
switching between zero and one.

The bug reports listed here might make an interesting read:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.cookie.cookieBehavior>

This may also be of interest:
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Cookies_Preferences_in_Mozilla>
I don't know if there is a more recent version (later than 2004).