Cruz, Jaime wrote:
I meant to mention this before but I found the "places.sqlite" issue
more important.

Prior to 2.31, whenever I'd launch Seamonkey under Ubuntu 14.04 ("Trusty
Tahr") I'd get two "icons" appearing in the launcher, the icon for the
browser (the standard Seamonkey icon) and the icon for the Mail/News
client (I have both launch by default) so it is pretty easy to switch
from one to the other via the launcher.

Although I do my primary work from a Windows installation, I have 2.31 installed on Ubuntu 12.04, and I use both mail and browser, when I'm doing work on the Ubuntu box.

Also, if I opened a composition window, that would create another "mail"
type icon in the launcher.

Ever since 2.31, however, I only get one icon, and it is a generic gray
icon with a question mark in the center.  Both components are still
active, and I can use those little icons in the bottom left hand edge of
Seamonkey itself to switch, but if I'm using multiple workspaces I can't
easily click back to where I want to go from the launcher.  Clicking
that generic gray icon will take me to the last Seamonkey window I was
in; not specifically to the browser or E-Mail client.

I know as a Linux (Ubuntu) user I'm in the minority here but has anyone
else seen this?

I'm writing from the Ubuntu box, and not seeing any differences in that area from what I see in Windows. On the Ubuntu side, I normally have Seamonkey set to launch only the browser on startup. I just reset to launch both browser and mail, and I'm not seeing anything unexpected, and I do have some number of extensions installed.

If I remember correctly, you get your updates from Ubuntuzilla, which is where I get mine. Which desktop are you running? I normally run KDE, although I sometimes use GNOME classic, but I haven't checked behavior there.

I'm inclined to believe that this one isn't a platform problem, but more likely some sort of quirk in your user profile. See what happens when you give Safe Mode (Help -> Restart with addons disabled) a try, if you haven't done so already.

I noted a couple of weeks back, when 2.31 was released, that I suddenly was having crashes when starting a portable apps version of 2.31 in Windows. I launched that one in Safe Mode, and the problem went away, even after I reenabled all the extensions, one at a time. After I reenabled my extensions, I've had no problems running in normal mode.

I don't know what happened, but somewhere, in the process of using Safe Mode, whatever was causing that crash went away.

I haven't followed your thread with places.sqlite discussion, but I will suggest that it's worth trying Safe Mode to see if Safe Mode might have any effect on that problem, as well. Safe Mode isn't a panacea, but it is a quick way of determining if problems stem from something in your user profile. And by my experience, a significant number of problems of all sorts, in not only Seamonkey, but Firefox and Thunderbird (and on all platforms) seem to have their roots in something that originates inside the user profile.

Smith