Ed Mullen wrote on 1/15/2015 1:47 PM:
In SM - Edit - Preferences - Mail & Newsgroups - Message Display the
default is true for "Display emoticons and graphics."

If I send myself an email and insert :-) in the message it is NOT
displayed as a graphic but as text.  Any idea why?

The about:config pref is:  mail.display_glyph

Hmm. The emoticon above IS displayed as a graphic when I look at the original message here! Not working in emails.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/