Daniel wrote on 1/16/2015 9:50 PM:
On 16/01/15 12:39, Ed Mullen wrote:
Larry S. wrote on 1/15/2015 2:53 PM:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote on 1/15/2015 1:52 PM:
Ed Mullen wrote on 1/15/2015 1:47 PM:
In SM - Edit - Preferences - Mail & Newsgroups - Message Display the
default is true for "Display emoticons and graphics."

If I send myself an email and insert :-) in the message it is NOT
displayed as a graphic but as text.  Any idea why?

The about:config pref is:  mail.display_glyph

Hmm.  The emoticon above IS displayed as a graphic when I look at the
original message here!  Not working in emails.

Aha!  Only works for plain-text emails/messages.

Hmmm . . . Now I'm confused. What "only works for plain-text..."?
Displays as text? Or displays as graphic? Could read your comment either
way.

Larry S. (easily confused)

The pref works for plain-text emails received.

So, send yourself a plain-text email with an emoticon in text format,
ala, :-).

If the pref is set you will see the plain-text emoticon as an image.

However, not if the eamil composed and sent as an HTML email.

And, frankly, this behavior seems stupid to me. ":-)" ought to always be
displayed as an image. Or never.  Make a choice.  But not only one.

Ed, when you sent yourself a text e-mail, did you check your sent folder
to see if the emoticon is displayed as text or symbol??

Plain-text emails with text emoticons display them as graphics if that pref is set. HTML emails do not: They just show the text.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/