In <news:bawdnsvq1od3ayljnz2dnuu7-ywdn...@mozilla.org>,
Ed Mullen <ejevo...@edmullen.net> wrote:

> I compose an email to myself with a URL in it ala:
>
> <http://edmullen.net/temp/Stan Rogers - The Witch of the
> Westmorland.mp3>
>
> When I send and view the email and hover over the link, the status
> bar shows the URL with the spaces removed.  If I view the source the
> spaces are indeed gone.
>
> Is this new?  Normal?

I dunno about new, but according to RFC 3986 (Appendix C) it's what
should happen, i.e., unencoded whitespace should be ignored when
parsing URLs.  Whitespace (including line breaks) breaks up URLs, so
removing it is the way to put them back together again.

> Able to be defeated?

I expect it's deep in the heart of Gecko and can't be overridden.

IME the quickest way to get the whitespaces encoded is what Ray
suggested, entering the URL in the address bar, then copying it from
the address bar.