On 14/03/15 07:42, Peter Nieman wrote:
Hi,

on a Windows 7 PC running SM 2.33 we have an IMAP account for which the
provider's spam filter has been activated. The filter moves the spam to
a "spam" folder on the server.

In Seamonkey, I created a message filter for this account that is
supposed to move mail from the inbox of the server to a local folder
when "Get new messages" is clicked. At the bottom of the Message Filters
dialog I made sure that "Run selected filter(s) on:" is set to "Inbox".
However, the filter insists on also downloading the spam from the "Spam"
folder. The setting in the filter dialog seems to have no effect. Why is
that so and how can I change it?

Thanks,
p. n.

Peter, as I understand things, with a POP e-mail account, SeaMonkey downloads all your e-mails into your inbox and *then* runs any filters you might have running and sends e-mails where you want them to go.

I don't know how IMAP differs from POP, but, in a POP account all the e-mails actually remain in the inbox file, even though you may have moved, i.e. copied, them into different folders. It is *only* when you File->Empty Trash and File->Compact Folders that the rubbish is actually removed from your inbox. Maybe the same happens with your IMAP folder, resulting in your IMAP Spam messages (that might still, really, be in the IMAP inbox folder) to be downloaded into your local inbox folder!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20141218225909
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150215202114