mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote on 3/16/2015 3:21 PM:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:

I've just updated SeaMonkey 2.26.1 to 2.33 on Windows Vista. Some notes
on a few issues and solutions I came across, in case they help anyone
else...

First off, back up your profile before updating - usually a good idea
anyway, just in case the new version messes something up in the profile
such that it won't even work in the old version.

1. Crash on Startup - due to missing xulstore.json
2. UI Customisations Lost - does anyone know a solution?
3. Saves Passwords Lost - fix found

1. Crash on Startup - due to missing xulstore.json

I didn't have this problem (xulstore.json didn't vanish), but it may be
relevant to your next issue:

It didn't vanish. It just wasn't present in my old profile from
SeaMonkey 2.26.1, and its absence caused a crash in SeaMonkey 2.33. From:
   http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf
it looks like xulstore.json replaces localstore.rdf as of "Mozilla 34"
(SeaMonkey 2.31?), so not expected to exist in 2.26.1. SM 2.33 was
crashing rather than converting the existing localstore.rdf or creating
a default version. Perhaps updating to SeaMonkey 2.31 first would have
converted localstore.rdf, and avoided the problem.

2. UI Customisations Lost - does anyone know a solution?

Have you tried restoring xulstore.json from backup?

I restored my entire profile from a backup created immediately before
updating, but there was no xulstore.json in that profile.

3. Saves passwords lost - fix found

Sorry, can't help with this.

No problem - the solution I linked to worked for me. I just mentioned it
in case it helps others.

Thanks,
Mark.

Which is why doing regular full backups of your data and system drives is critical.

My system does image backups daily of all my critical drives.

I've been advocating this here for years and people still don't get it. They us Mozbackup as though that were the only thing to back up or the only way.

Having image backups is the only smart way to go.

With a good backup program even if your hard drive fails (and it will) you can restore to different hadware.

I hate to be harsh but I have no sympathy for anyone without a sound backup strategy. When you lose your data don't ask me.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/