Ed Mullen wrote:
cmcadams wrote on 4/16/2015 10:31 PM:
Daniel wrote:
On 16/04/15 03:39, cmcadams wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/14/2015 11:06 PM, cmcadams wrote:
cmcadams wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
cmcadams wrote:

I'm finding that links at the redesigned http://www.bbc.com/news
website
are helter-skelter in SM 2.26.1.

The links under the "Most Popular" head on individual pages end
up at
the wrong destination. Links that should be to the same story are
different for the links contained within photos and the headlines
immediately beneath the photos, with the headline links going
astray. To
confuse matters, some links actually work as they should.

Everything appears to work properly under IE.

Everything works fine for me.

I followed all 10 Most Popular links and they all took me to the
expected stories.

Interesting.

This UA string: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/29.0
SeaMonkey/2.26.1

Will try again under XP on another computer. My Linux SM recently
decided to follow
its partition into oblivion.

Spoke too soon. All of the "Most Popular" links on the home page do
work correctly
(although the picture/headline links are still aimed differently).
But if you go to
any other page, US & Canada, for example, the "Most Popular" links do
behave as I
described.

At <http://www.bbc.com/news/world/us_and_canada>, all "Most Popular
from
US and Canada" links -- those listed with days of the week -- send
me to
the story "US to exhume remains of Pearl Harbor dead for
identification".  Even the header "Most Popular from US and Canada"
itself is a link to that page.

At the "US to exhume remains of Pearl Harbor dead for identification"
page, however, the links under "Most Popular" -- no "from US and
Canada"
in the header, no days of the week, and the header itself not a link --
work as intended.

This matches what I'm seeing.

Obviously, the problem is with the BBC's Web site and not with
SeaMonkey.  The problem should be reported to the BBC and not here.

As I mentioned, it works in IE. Have you ever encountered a web site
that gives a fig about claims dependent on Seamonkey?

Wasn't there, some time ago, a fad where a web page would determine
which browser you
were using (MSIE/FF) and display a page supposed set up particularly
for that Browser??

Could this be the problem??

(I note that Paul's User-Agent string mentions Ff & SM, but as David
is posting with
TB, I'm guessing he is viewing with FF.)

I don't know. I've got "Advertise Firefox compatibility" checked (in
Preferences -> Advanced -> HTTP Networking).

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_sniffing>

<https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=browser+sniffing&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=mozilla.org&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=>

Browser sniffing is generally agreed to be a bad practice.  Instead,
responsive/flexible design is preferred.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design>

Appreciate the info.

As I mentioned somewhere up the thread, websites don't seem particularly impressed when they're called on it. Yeah, I've tried.

Whether that's the cause of the present problem is almost an imponderable, just too many settings, differences from one system to another, etc.