-------- Original Message --------
Roger Fink wrote:
In my installation of SeaMonkey 2.35 the default about:config preference
"browser.tabs.closeButtons" is set to 3, which removes the close button
from the individual tabs and places one close button at the far
right-hand side of the tab row. This is exactly what I want.

In 2.38, the default setting is the same, but now there are no close
buttons at all. I can close an individual tab using the tab context menu
- not the end of the world, but not my preference either, so I'm back to
2.35.

Not sure what you mean? On 2.38 now and browser.tabs.closeButtons is at
the default 3 and there are not close buttons on tabs (unlike current
FireFox) and there is just one on the far right as it always has been.

How can I restore the original behavior in 2.38?

It is using  the original behavior. Maybe your theme is hiding the button.

Note: I'm not sure this is relevant, but in case it is, my bookmarks
sidebar appears on the right hand side. This is done via userChrome.css,
not the X-sidebar extension.

Or your tweak here.

   ^what does this mean?