-------- Original Message --------
Roger Fink wrote:
In my installation of SeaMonkey 2.35 the default about:config preference
"browser.tabs.closeButtons" is set to 3, which removes the close button
from the individual tabs and places one close button at the far
right-hand side of the tab row. This is exactly what I want.

In 2.38, the default setting is the same, but now there are no close
buttons at all. I can close an individual tab using the tab context menu
- not the end of the world, but not my preference either, so I'm back to
2.35.

Not sure what you mean? On 2.38 now and browser.tabs.closeButtons is at
the default 3 and there are not close buttons on tabs (unlike current
FireFox) and there is just one on the far right as it always has been.

How can I restore the original behavior in 2.38?

It is using  the original behavior. Maybe your theme is hiding the button.

Note: I'm not sure this is relevant, but in case it is, my bookmarks
sidebar appears on the right hand side. This is done via userChrome.css,
not the X-sidebar extension.

Or your tweak here.

It's the theme. Everything is normal with the SM default theme, but I've used Mostly Crystal (with the normal modifications to get it to install) ever since it first came out and that was a long time ago (one of the installation files is dated 6/9/07). So I'll need to deal with it.

The bookmarks sidebar left-side userChrome doesn't seem like part of the problem because I disabled those lines and the behavior was the same.