On 10/12/2015 04:21 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote on 12/10/2015 00:01:
On 2015-10-10 17:55, David E. Ross wrote:
Mozilla is ending support for NPAPI plugins by the end on 2016.

While the number of plugins I have is not as large as the number of
extensions, I consder every one of them important.  They are:
    QuickTime
    Adobe Acrobat (actually Adobe Reader, not the writer)
    RealPlayer
    Java

I also have Flash, but that apparently will be an exception to the
removal of NPAPI support.

Does anyone know how these plugins will be affected, specifically in
SeaMonkey?  What are the plugin developers doing about this?

I'm not a SeaMonkey developer but I also wish SM would not get rid of
plug-in support. The recent trend of all the major browsers extracting
features in the name of security is troubling. Most ordinary users
probably don't care about plug-ins but in a company a plug-in is often
the only way to implement communication between a web application and
custom software or hardware. For example, I know of a company that has
a web application which uses a fiscal printer to print receipts - the
communication is achieved with a java applet. Good luck doing that in
html5!

I suppose it's still too early to know what SM devs will do about it -
but if leaving the plug-in code does not mean any extra work or other
problems then I think it would be easy to persuade them to leave it as
it is :). However, I'm afraid even this will not be a good long term
solution because when all major browsers get rid of NPAPI then no
company will create plug-ins just for a small browser minority. But I
hope I will be proved wrong!

I have and Need : VASCO Card Reader Plugin for login to my bank site and
to my federal site.
If this plugin use the NAPI interface .... it would cease to function
the Dec 31 2016 ?

Probably, so make your bank and federal site aware that plugin support will end, and they have until the end of 2016 to fix it so you don't need a plugin.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 38.3.0
One users useless feature, is a useful feature to another