Hi,

On 11/28/15, Paul in Houston, TX <Paul@houston.texas> wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I read in several places that Flash Player is dangerous as it can allow
>> Viruses and Trojans
>> into your system.
>> I went to Mozilla.org then this;
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-flash-player/
>>
>> Is this safe to use on SM 2.33.1 ?  Using XP.

The current version of SM is 2.39; running SM 2.33.1 is unsafe.

>> Please eschew comments on XP !

As long as you eschew using an admin account for general use )
Use the admin account for administering the machine & use an account
with no privileges for general use -- like using Flash & SM 2.33.1

And use things like
https://www.virustotal.com/
https://malwr.com/submission/
https://virusscan.jotti.org/
http://www.virscan.org/
to check out a program before installing it.

>> Why do all these say they are for YouTube ?
>> Do they work only on YouTube and nothing else ?
>>
>> Danke, danke.
>>
>> DB
>
> Everything is dangerous to some extent.  I know that Flash works good with
> XP3.
> If you use Flash, be sure to install the latest version.
> It is 19.0.0.226 for Windows as of Saturday, Nov 28, 2015.

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb15-28.html
says the current version is 19.0.0.245

> Be sure to set Flash cache to zero and run Ccleaner or Bleachbit
> periodically
> to remove the flash cookies.
> To be even safer make sure JS is OFF and stays OFF.

+1 for turning javascript off.  But way too many sites don't work if
JS is turned off.  It's kind of a pain getting the permissions set
right, but using noscript & request policy continued is the best
mitigation I've found for enabling JS.

Anyone have other suggestions for staying (relatively) safe with JS enabled?

Regards,
Lee