Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/5/2015 12:55 PM, EE wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
My bookmarks have grown like Topsy since days of using Netscape.
In the beginning I made minimal use of folders.
There have been sporadic attempts using Bookmarks->Manage
Bookmarks to
bring order out of chaos. I have too many for that to practical (
 >2000???).

I came across one addon for working with places.sqlite (I've
lost the
link) but found no documentation on what it did other than
several users
liked it ;/

Pointers please.
TIA

Are you sure all those bookmarks are still valid?  I use
CheckPlaces from time to time just to make sure that all the
pages I bookmarked still exist, and clear out the ones that do not.

<chuckle> Some of the URL's may indeed be dated. But I still need the
data they once pointed pointed to. As the last step of my reorganization
I'll search out a current reference or look it up in "The Wayback
Machine" [http://archive.org/web/web.php].

You might try creating some folders for categories of bookmarks
that you know you have, and maybe organize 200 or so of them at a
time and do the job over several sessions.

That was essentially what I had been doing. It is complicated by having
many duplicate entries and and unknown number that I would NOW say I had
placed in an inappropriate folder. I doubt that less than 10% of the
unique URL's will be deleted. Part of what I need to know for a useful
reorganization is how many times have which URL's have been duplicated.

CheckPlaces can find duplicates. It works in SeaMonkey as well as Firefox. It is no longer at the Mozilla addons site, but it is obtainable from here:
http://daniel-lange.com/archives/71-SyncPlaces,-SortPlaces-...-preserving-these-and-other-excellent-Firefox-add-ons.html