Richard Owlett wrote:

My method has been to create two top level folders with a small
number of sub-folders. I have dragged a number of existing folders
into that structure. As an aid I export the current structure as
HTML. Its shortcoming is although it displaying the folder names, it
gives no information of nesting depth.

Have you tried the "Show Parent Folder" extension?

It adds a folder column to search results in the bookmark manager, letting a
user locate and move bookmarks right in the standard bookmark manager, without
exporting to HTML.  (I had to convert it to make it work in Seamonkey.)