On 18/12/2015, WaltS48 <thalion...@removeaim.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/2015 03:52 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 18/12/2015 4:36 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I am using Seamonkey on UbuntuMATE 15.10 .
>>>
>>> The only menu option that appears for SeaMonkey in this installation
>>> (on both of two separate computers), is "Mozilla build of Seamonkey".
>>>
>>> In previously used SeaMonkey  (2.2x) on Debian 6, three separate menu
>>> options were displayed in the menu (Applications -> Internet);
>>> something like "Seamonkey Compose New Message", Seamonkey Mail and
>>> NewsGroups", and, Seamonkey web browser", which allowed a user to
>>> access the new message composer, or, the Mail and News Groups
>>> component (to examine previously sent messages, and, for other uses),
>>> or, the web browser component, without having to load the web browser
>>> component (thence restoring the last previous saved session, if the
>>> web browser component is configured to restart with the last session).
>>>
>>> I do not know whether the developers read the messages on this list,
>>> but I am wondering whether it would be possible to restore the
>>> functionality, of having those three separate menu options, so that a
>>> user like me, can chose to simply open the Compose New Message
>>> component, without having to reload the last session of the web
>>> browser.
>>>
>>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>>
>> Bret, I'm using my Win7 SeaMonkey tonight, and have never seen "the menu
>> (Applications -> Internet)", so can only assume that is a UbuntuMate
>> modification.
>>
>> However, in my installation, under "Window", I see that I can open and
>> change to any of five windows (Browser, Mail & News, Composer,
>> Addressbook and IRC). Do you not see this, or is this not what you are
>> referring to?? Maybe Ubuntu has modified SeaMonkey!
>>

> I think the question is could the SeaMonkey developers fix SeaMonkey so
> his operating systems Application launcher shows the three items under
> the Internet heading like it did in Debian.
>
> AIUI Ubuntu doesn't even offer SeaMonkey anymore.
>
> Users that want it for Ubuntu have to add a 3rd party repository called
> Ubuntuzilla.
>
> UbuntuUpdates - PPA: Ubuntuzilla -
> <http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/ubuntuzilla>
>
> Or install from The SeaMonkey® Project -
> <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/> which AFAIK doesn't add the
> functionality. I don't see the items in my Application > Internet Menu.
>
> I thought I had SM installed through my software manager, but it appears
> I don't. IIRC when I did have it installed from a repo there were menu
> items for launching the browser or mail, but not just the compose window.

I am thinking now, that I may have been mistaken - I think that the
three separate menu entries to which I refer, were for the iceape
suite, which was a Debian version of Seamonkey, which was similar to,
but not exactly the same as, Seamonkey.

The next time that I do a system update (as the currently outstanding
update, involves a kernel update, which requires a system reboot, and
the reboot, with restoring browser sessions, takes a couple or a few
hours, so, gets deferred until it is less inconvenient), I need to
remember to examine the installations of Debian 6 and the previous
(10.04 and 12.04) installations of Ubuntu, to find whether I am
correct, in believing now, that it was in fact iceape, and, not
Seamonkey, that had the separate menu entries for the separate
components.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale